Wednesday, July 7, 2010

4th of July Weekend

How was every one's 4th of July? Mine was very relaxed! The weather was beautiful so my boyfriend & I went to the beach during the day, then saw some fireworks at night. Just wanted to share some of the healthier options for 4th of July BBQ's. (Keep in mind I have a digital camera from 7 years ago & I am by no means a photographer!!)







This dip had layers of refried beans, black beans, guacamole, tofu sour cream that was mixed with taco seasoning and tomatoes on top. Its definitely a crowd pleaser and perfect to bring to parties and BBQ's. Here's the recipe for the tofu sour cream:




Tofu sour cream:
-8 ounces of silken tofu
-2 T lemon juice
-3 T canola oil
-2 t brown rice vinegar
-1/2 t sea salt








Red, White and Blue Fruit Salad: Organic blueberries, strawberries & white peaches. Clean and simple.



Ok so I had to make one unhealthy thing! As requested by my boyfriend:






I didn't have any simply because I'm not much of a cupcake person (unless its red velvet of course!).

Many people use holidays as an excuse to eat unhealthy. Like I said in my memorial day post, you can indulge as long as you are smart about it!



Now, onto some yummy meals I've had:




Breakfast: Wildwood UNSWEETENED soy yogurt (organic & non-gmo) with organic blueberries & 1/4 cup Ezekiel sprouted cereal, tons of cinnamon and stevia to taste.


Its crazy to me that people eat yogurts that contain anywhere from 15-25g of sugar in those tiny containers and they think it is healthy, "diet" food because its low in calories! NEVER buy high sugar products. Buy them unsweetened and lightly sweeten them yourself with either agave or stevia.



Lunch/Dinner:




I've been wanting to try tofu shirataki noodles for a while. They are basically noodles made out of tofu, so they are very low in carbs and low in calories. I cooked them according to the package and made a stirfry with:

Veggies: broccoli, onion, garlic, carrots and kale

Sauce: tamari, brown rice vinegar, mirin (Japanese cooking wine), & sesame oil
Seasoning: Powdered garlic, ginger & eden shake



Healthy fact: Did you know that cinnamon is helpful in keeping insulin levels stable? Good thing I use insane amounts of it on everything!

Tip of the day: Make veggies the main part of your meals. So many times I see people making a protein or grains as the main component of their dish. This leads to excess calories and weight gain. Instead, base your dish around veggies. They are high in volume and in nutrients so they fill you up, but they are low in calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment