Friday, July 23, 2010

Healthy Eating While on Vacation

This past weekend I was in Florida for my cousin's wedding. It was such a great trip! I spent most of the time laying by the pool of the hotel, exploring the area and spending quality time with my boyfriend and family. I was there for 5 days and really didn't want to leave!!!

Most people find it very difficult to stay healthy while on vacation. It isn't uncommon for people to gain 5-10 pounds on a cruise! Just because your traveling doesn't mean you should fall off the wagon. Of course I knew I would be eating out a lot more than I normally do, and perhaps enjoying a few cocktails ;), but I made sure to stick to my healthy guidelines.

I did a little research prior to leaving and found tons of healthy places to eat, so I knew that I had options. Breakfast is always the hardest for me to eat out, so I purchased a healthy cereal and almond milk and kept it in the hotel fridge. I had this most of the days of my vacation. For lunch and dinner my boyfriend and I went to the healthy restaurants I found online. There were also some really awesome health food stores that had deli's in the back. PS, is anyone else OBSESSED with health food stores? I swear, I'm like a kid in a candy store when I get around supplements and healthy food.

Anyway, I still managed to get all my veggies in even though I was on vacation. I tried to keep my meals as clean and healthy as possible, especially since I happened to have a few (3-4) margaritas the last night I was there. Naughty, I know! Of course I never feel guilty when I indulge since a majority of the time I am eating clean.




These contained an assortment of fresh veggies (one had tofu in too) wrapped in rice paper. They were super healthy and yummy.

I know this pic is super blurry but it shows my MONSTER of a salad. It was rice noodles, tons of raw veggies and tofu with a sesame ginger dressing. Of course I barely even finish a third of it but it was really clean. I'm also addicted to green tea, and got in iced since it was so hot out. I always get unsweetened and add stevia.

Going on a vacation doesn't mean you have to ruin your "diet." Just do your research, make smart investments in veggies, fruits, whole grains and lean protein and keep your portions in check! Also, bring healthy snacks with you! I can't tell you how many times I saved myself by having fruit, nuts or healthy bars in my bag!

Now tell me about your vacations!

1 comment:

  1. they look yummy for sure!! and U LOOK GORGEOUS!!

    i try to eat lots of fruit and veggies when i travel but i definitely like to indulge just a bit.. or a whole lot yet pretend a nice salad in between will balance it :)

    xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete