Saturday, August 21, 2010

How to fight a cold...and WIN!!

So I've caught my boyfriends cold! :( I've got all the typical symptoms: runny nose, sneezing and overall exhaustion. In my pre-healthy days I use to catch colds ALL the time!!! Literally like once a month. It was terrible. Now I catch colds maybe two or three time a year and they are usually pretty light and go away quickly. Nowadays when I catch a cold I am ready for battle! It's literally like fighting a war (I like making sickness exciting, like a soap opera...). Anyway, so I have an array of weapons to help my body fight the germs!

*Ginger: has anti-bacterial properties. I buy some fresh ginger and grate it in my foods, teas or smoothies.
*Garlic is great at fighting off infections
*Vitamin C which is found in Cabbage, Broccoli, Bell Peppers, Kale, Strawberries, Oranges, Lemons
*Warm Liquids- Warm Water, Soups & Teas

Speaking of Teas, here is one of my favorite teas for when I am feeling under the weather:


This tea has echinacea which helps strengthen your immune system

And finally, when you are sick be sure to get plenty of rest so your body can do its job and win the war!!

What are your favorite cold remedies?

7 comments:

  1. Great tips - I hope you are feeling better!!
    Jen @ shesafitchick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad you are better, i hate colds! I just really hate the syuffed up nose part, because you cant sleep at night when that happens, not that I sleep ever anyways, lol!

    Oh TIna you must go on forever 21, they have the cutest dresses ever! U would look beautiful in any dress, so you will have plenty to choose from! Try www.lulus.com too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey girlie!!
    LOVE this post, cold season is coming forrrr sure! my favorite cold remedy is HOT green tea+a grapefruit before bed...lots of sleep...and water with 1/2 of a fresh lemon squeezed in!!
    I hope you have a great week ahead of you!
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fav remedy is LOADING up on cold teas with Ginger--I love the Traditional Medicine brand...they are in my cabinet now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So this is why I never get sick! I use ginger and/or garlic in a meal almost every day. I love them both. I also have warm liquids alllll day. I'm not sure if there is much truth to this, but I find that using a combination of honey, ginger, and cinnamon makes me feel better on the rare occasion I get sick.

    Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Garlic is so good for you! I consider it a "superfood" It has antibacterial properties, as does ginger!

    Spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cayanne, cumin, etc help to keep your lymph system pumping and keep you healthy!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HAVE THAT TEA!!!! how cool is that woo hoo!! <3 that stuff rocks. i usually go through it much quicker in the fall and winter altho ive definitely used it when ive had some summer colds and coughs.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete