Saturday, September 4, 2010

Comfort Foods for Fall

There are so many thing I love about the summer: the beach, the "longer days", wearing flip flops! and just the overall excitement in the air. Although I have graduated, I still get the 'schools out for summer' butterflies. However, I also love the change of seasons and I am really looking forward to the fall. I already see Halloween decorations out!

When it comes to eating, summer is a time for lots of veggies, salads and fruits. Its best to eat raw foods to help cool us off. As the weather gets cooler out, our body will start to crave warmer foods. Many people think that gaining winter weight is normal; that like squirrels, we need to store up in the winter to keep warm. This is when people tend to eat a lot of heavy, high calorie foods. Well if your body is cold, put on a sweater, not extra weight! I am all about warm, hearty comfort foods, but I don't need any more calories, fats or carbs than I did in the summer. Just because the weather is changing, doesn't mean your eating habits (or your waistline) should. We just need to shift from raw veggies and fruits, to more cooked foods.

Here are some of my favorite, healthy comfort foods:

Soups are great for your body. I have a tendency towards feeling cold so you will find me having soups even in the dead of summer (I don't recommend this for everyone, but its what my body needs) The great thing about soups is they are very filling, so you don't need to eat a lot and they can be very healthy and nutritious. My favorite soups are split pea, lentil and basically any veggie puree soup. This is the perfect comfort food for me: warm, filling and healthy.

Roasted Veggies In the winter it is recommended to eat foods that are cooked longer, so soups and roasted veggies are perfect! In the winter our body's will have a tendency to crave more starchy foods (grains, legumes, potatoes and other starchy veggies), but to cut the carbs and calories I will combine some starchy veggies with some non-starchy veggies. For example I will roast several different non-starchy vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, onions, and only one starchier vegetable like sweet potatoes. And before roasting them I will use just enough oil to cover the veggies. Less is more!

Hot herbal teas Green tea and Peppermint tea are two of my favorites.

Hot chocolate I love hot cocoa, but it is always FULL of sugar, so I make my own at home with almond milk & stevia, its still yummy, but with a fraction of the calories and sugar of regular hot chocolate

1 comment:

  1. I live for soup! haha I LOVE it....I'm always sampling the different ones at Whole foods...oh yeah I'm that girl : ) haha

    xo

    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete