Saturday, November 13, 2010

Dining out Vegan

Happy Saturday!

Last night my boyfriend & I wanted to go out to dinner, but being a vegan on Long Island is really not the easiest thing in the world. There was one vegan restaurant about 25min away from us that recently closed down. Considering that the place was always busy, we were both shocked when we found out. That was our go-to spot whenever we wanted to go out to eat. So now, we were kind of stuck. Then we remembered about the pizzeria/Italian restaurant that has a vegan menu. The owner's son is a vegan so I suppose he convinced his dad to offer a separate vegan menu, and it seems to be really popular. We had been there a few times and were never really crazy about the food, but with a lack of options and two hungry bellies, we decided to give it another try.

My boyfriend got the Seitan Burger which came with tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, melted daiya cheese and a side of fries.


He really liked it! I took a bite and thought it was really good as well.




I decided to get a small spinach salad and an appetizer for my meal. The spinach salad was SO plain and boring. It was spinach leaves, a few baby tomatoes, some grated carrot and a few pieces of some stinky vegan cheese. Totally not worth $1o considering I could have made an even better one at home. Luckily the appetizer I ordered was delish! I got the Eggplant Rollatini. It was listed under entrees as well, but I figured an appetizer size would be just enough for me. I was really surprised with how big the appetizer portion was! It looked like an entree size.


It was breaded eggplant stuffed with a vegan cashew/tofu ricotta topped with tomato sauce and daiya. It was super yummy! I still have one piece leftover for today's lunch.


This place also orders desserts from Vegan Treats Bakery in PA, so of course we got some dessert to go! Chocolate Hazelnut cake and Mocha Cheesecake.






I had a few bites of each, the chocolate cake was delish (my boyfriend definitely gobbled it up), but neither of us were crazy about the cheesecake. While this wasn't necessarily the healthiest meal in the world, it was yummy and we don't go out to eat very often so it was a nice treat!


How do you stay healthy while dining out?
What are your plans for this weekend?
I'm off to take a Hardcore Total Body class at my gym. I think it is similar to the Body Pump class everyone talks about. This class is all about getting tone and strong. Its very challenging, but also very addicting! I love it!
Enjoy your day! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment