Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Nutrient-Dense Diet

Happy Sunday! How was every one's weekend? I got some good workouts in and did some food shopping. Although its been sunny out, the weather has gotten SO cold which I really am not a fan of! I am always cold so I have to really start bundling up!

I wanted to talk about eating nutrient dense foods. An important aspect of healthy eating is about getting the most bang for you buck with the foods you eat. Dr. Joel Fuhrman, who wrote Eat for Health, developed a scoring system called ANDI (Aggregate Nutrient Density Index), which ranks foods based on their ratio of nutrients to calories. The chart below shows the scores of a selection of foods. The higher the number, the more nutrient dense the food is.


Dark leafy greens like Kale and Collard Greens are some of the healthiest foods you can eat. While, junk foods, sodas, ice cream and chips have very little nutrients for the amount of calories they contain. The ANDI scoring system supports a plant based diet and helps us to make smarter choices. So when planning your shopping lists and meals, come back to this helpful chart and make some good investments with your diet!

On a side note, does anyone else want to wait until AFTER thanksgiving to see all the Holiday decorations? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE everything about Christmas, but I can't get into it until Thanksgiving has passed. What about you? Enjoy your evening! xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I love this post!! I see these charts all over Whole Foods...I def need to get that book!

    I am usually not into Xmas until after Thanksgiving, last year it took me a long while to get into it..like the week before. This year, I have no idea what's gotten into me but I can not WAIT for it. I was at Target today and bought all my wrapping paper and more decorations for my tree. I was like "WHO AM I?" lol. I just want to skip Thanksgiving this year and go straight to Christmas....it's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah thats so funny, I feel the same way when I see all the xmas decorations in the store. I guess when in Rome.... ;)

    ReplyDelete