Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Shortcuts to weight loss & Lecture in NYC

I love Dr. Oz. I love that he uses the popularity of his show as a platform to spread the message of prevention, health and wellness. I also love the fact that even as a surgeon, he still promotes alternative, integrative and functional medicines. He is wonderful human being and it is people like him that will help our society to become healthier. I wanted to share a feature he had on his show last week. Many people claim that they "don't have the time" to eat healthy or workout. Well no more excuses!

Here are Dr Oz's best shortcuts to weight loss! These tips are simple and easy and I can honestly say I use most of these in my day to day life.

1. Eat an apple 15min before lunch. This will take roughly 187 calories off what you eat at lunch. This is because the fiber from the apple will fill you up, making you eat less. (I want to add that it doesn't have to be just an apple! I like to have miso soup or a salad before my meals to help fill me up.)

2. Refrigerate your canned goods. The fat will solidify at the surface and you can scrape it off reducing some of the fat. (This only works if you buy a canned good that contains a fattier food, like red meat.)

3. Dilute your juices with 1/2 Seltzer (or water) and this will cut the calories and sugar in half. (This is the simplest and easiest thing to do! Everyone should do this!)

4. Fake a carbohydrate. Replace the potatoes with cauliflower in your mashed potatoes, and use spaghetti squash in place of pasta. By doing this you can lose up to 12 pounds in a year.

5. When baking, replace oil with applesauce. By swapping 1/2 the oil in the recipe for applesauce you could save 6 pounds a year.

6. Swap gym bags with a friend. Most people are more likely to put themselves on the back burner, but won't want to disappoint their friends. Doing this will give you the motivation and commitment to get moving, especially if you have your friend's running shoes!

Also, tomorrow night I will be attending a lecture by Gabrielle Bernstein in NYC. She is the author of Add more ~ING to your life: A Hip Guide to Happiness. This book is SO motivational and such a great read! I highly recommend it to anyone who really wants to do some soul searching and lead a happier life. I am excited to be in a room filled with wonderful people and positive energy! I am also just happy to use this as an excuse to go to the city. I love NYC SO much. I live on Long Island and I make it a point to head to the city as much as I can. The energy is awesome. I am definitely a city girl, so it will be nice to be in my environment. I will give you all a recap of the lecture and share with you what I got out of it.

What books have you read that have really motivated you?

What is one of the simplest and easiest tricks/shortcuts you use to stay healthy?

Have you been to NYC before? Any NYC bloggers? How do you/did you like it? Some people think its too fast-paced and overwhelming.

Enjoy your evenings! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I love Dr Oz!!!!! I have too many books to name!!!

    Haven't been to NYC in YEARS...but want to take a trip this holiday season to see the tree, the ice skaters, and do some window shopping. I'm going to see if my mom wants to take the train with me for a day trip :-)

    ReplyDelete