Although its hard to see everyone post pictures of all the delicious goodies they're been whipping up, I am determined to save all my holiday baking for Christmas Eve. I like the idea of spending the whole morning baking treats and then delivering them to my friends and family (and saving some for Santa of course!). I will be giving holiday trays and tins filled with homemade Christmas cookies and desserts as gifts to my loved ones. One of the cookies I plan to bake are these awesome vegan chocolate chip cookies, here is the recipe!
Heart Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
(adapted from the Vegetarian Times)
Makes 30 cookies
• 3 T melted coconut oil, safflower oil, canola or other light oil
• 2 cups walnuts
• 1 cup light brown sugar
• 2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 1½ cups oat flour
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. salt
• ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
• 2 cups rolled oats
• 3 3.5-oz. bars bittersweet chocolate, chopped, or 1½ cups vegan chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
2. Blend walnuts in food processor 30 seconds, or until ground into a fine meal. Add canola oil, and blend 2 to 3 minutes more, or until mixture has the consistency of peanut butter, scraping down sides of food processor occasionally. Transfer to bowl.
3. Whisk together brown sugar and ½ cup water in small saucepan, and bring mixture to a boil. Pour brown sugar mixture over ground walnut butter, add vanilla extract, and stir until no lumps remain.
4. Whisk together oat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in separate bowl. Stir oat flour mixture into walnut mixture. Cool 10 minutes. Fold in oats, then chocolate chips.
5. Shape cookie dough into 2-inch balls, and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Flatten cookies with bottom of drinking glass dipped in water. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown and tops look dry. Cool 3 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Nutritional Information per cookie:
Total Fat: 10g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Santa will definitely thank you ;)
Have you entered my Holiday Tea Giveaway yet? If not enter here!
What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Do you prefer to cook or to bake?
Have a good night!