Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Snowed in & Post Holiday Detox

I can officially say I have cabin fever. The snow hit us pretty hard and I've been stuck home since Sunday. The first snow day is always fun and reminds me of being a kid watching the news and praying that my school would be closed. Then, jumping up and down on my bed when they announced it was. However, after a few days I am getting antsy. I went out today just to pick up some groceries at the store, and while the main roads were clean, the side streets are terrible! So I will be stuck in again today! (Sounds so terrible, right?)


Aside from that, I wanted to discuss something that I know many of you can relate to: Post Holiday Blues. Many of my clients complain about post-holiday bloating, guilt and exhaustion. This is the result of overdoing it at all those holiday parties. Instead of giving into these feelings and making these unhealthy choices become a habit, start fresh and get back on track with a post-holiday cleanse.



Over the holidays many of us probably eat more calories, sugars and fats than we normally would, which may lead to sluggish digestion, exhaustion and mood swings. To combat this and bring you body back to balance, here are some of my detox tips:



Increase your fiber: focus on eating more vegetables, fruit and whole grains. Fiber helps to absorb toxins and remove them from your body.



Support your liver. Your liver plays a huge role in detoxification, so help support it with liver friendly foods, lemon water and/or a herbal liver support supplement



Drink plenty of water. This helps to flush our system and aids in the removal of toxins.



Sweat it out. Our skin is our largest organ and one of the ways in which we eliminate toxins. Get in a great workout or use a sauna to make use of this detox channel.



Take a break. If you know you went carb crazy or suffered from a sugar cookie coma over the holidays, then take a break from these. Sugar, caffeine, alcohol, wheat and dairy are the five most common things people over-consume. For the next few weeks try and minimize your consumption of these foods. You don't have to completely eliminate them or feel like you are restricting yourself, but instead be more conscious of what you are putting in your body. Focus on whole foods like veggies, fruit, legumes, whole grains and lean protein.



How do you help yourself get back on track when you feel like you overdid it?



I'm curious, who else got hit by the snow?



The winner of my Holiday Tea giveaway is #3: Katie at Healthy Diva Eats!! Congrats!! Email me your address at Tina@nourishedwellness.com!

xoxo Tina

5 comments:

  1. We JUST missed the snow. Literally, we came so close but missed it by an inch. Sorry you are snowed in. I hear it will warm up soon and hopefully melt some of this mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your detox tips! You covered it all :)

    Im in southern cali, so we didnt get any snow but we did get the most terrible rain storms over the past week! Hopefully the snow melts soon so you can get out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I would antsy too! I hope you all get some relief soon. After the holidays feast, there's nothing better than doing some hot yoga. Detox for the muscles and mind!
    LC

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice tips! even SC got snow. for the 2nd yr in a row too!! so crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips, Tina!!! I have been drinking a lot of lemon water this week...I totally feel the need form a sugar detox after this week!

    I agree about being a kid when it comes to snow days. I swear, I can watch the news ALL day during a blizzard, it's all the same stuff but I just love it! But after being stuck for a few days I NEED to get out!Last winter we got quite a few..luckily this past one wasn't big here at all by NY got hit hard!! I can only imagine how bad your cabin fever is!

    Thanks so much for the positive thoughts and kind words btw. Munchkin should be just fine, they were able to recover the tip whole today, he's recovering now!

    ReplyDelete