Sunday, February 13, 2011

Healthy Valentine's Day Recipes

Hello friends! I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

I've always said that Valentine's Day is just an excuse to eat chocolate and yell at your significant other if they forget to buy you flowers, and I am perfectly okay with that. So bring on the Hallmark holiday! I don't know what my boyfriend has planned for Valentine's Day, but I plan on showing him I love him the best way I know how: filling his belly with delicious and healthy foods. I want to share some of my favorite Valentine's day recipes with you all! They are sweet and delicious while still being healthy (and vegan).

Sweet breakfast for your valentine:
Best Vegan French Toast
adapted from Engine 2 Diet
1 banana
½ cup milk substitute of choice (rice, coconut, almond, hemp, etc)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4–6 slices whole grain or sprouted bread
Combine the banana, milk substitute, vanilla, and cinnamon in a blender. Pour this batter into a shallow dish or bowl.
Dip the bread slices in the mixture and cook in a nonstick skillet on medium heat for 2 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
Serve drizzled with pure maple syrup


Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie:
1 cup milk of choice (almond, hemp, rice, etc)
3/4 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 frozen banana
1T cocoa powder
*To turn this into a protein shake you can add 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder and reduce the cocoa powder to 1/2T. This also tastes just as delicious without the banana!
Blend and enjoy!

Classic Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberries:
1lb. fresh strawberries
1/2 cup (4 oz.) dairy-free dark chocolate chips or bar broken into pieces (My favorite organic chocolate brands are Green and Black’s, Dagoba, and Tropical Source. Look for a cocoa content of 70% or higher.)

-Line a baking sheet with baking parchment or wax paper.
-Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave.
-Dip the strawberries halfway into the melted chocolate, then carefully transfer them to the baking sheet and let cool.
Makes 12 servings




Chocolove brand chocolate bars are not only delicious, but also contain a love letter inside each wrapper making them a great gift for a loved one! I especially love their orange peel dark chocolate flavor.

What are your plans for Valentine's Day? Did you celebrate early?


What are your favorite Valentine's Day recipes?


xoxo Tina

7 comments:

  1. Hi love! the chocolate strawberry smoothie sounds amazing!! I might have to have that tomorrow for lunch!

    We are celebrating Valentines Day Friday, mike is taking me to a suprise place for dinner, we did go out and have a fun little date night though too last night!

    Happy Valentines Day to you and your man!!! I hope you guys have a great one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I celebrated a tad bit yesterday but I think me and Pete are going to dinner this week!
    Sushi can't wait! I got him the cutest gift ever! I'm doin a post about it tonight you should check it out! :)
    he got me a garmin for running! :) Happy V-day to you and your man I hope your days are filled with love and drama-free stres-free life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think something with white chocolate will be made! I've seen those love chocolate bars, but I never knew they had a note inside- how sweet!
    Meri
    merigoesround.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. No plans- just me, myself and I with a good bit of chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the chocolove bars! Especially the cherry one. :)

    We'll be going out to dinner tomorrow night--but other than that it's a normal Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Valentines Day, girl!!!

    I didn't even see that E2 French toast recipe before. I need to look in that book more! Thanks for posting, it sounds amazing!!!

    Michael and Munchkin both got be chocolates. I think they like that fact that my thighs keep growing closer together by the minute ;-)

    ReplyDelete