Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Importance of Vitamin D

Happy Tuesday! I hope every one is doing well!

Supposedly there is more snow coming! In fact, I see that some of you have already been hit! I have been snowed in more days this year than I can count! Which is why I was not surprised to find out that my vitamin D levels were slightly low when I had my blood work done last week. Luckily, everything else came back perfect, but now I have to make sure I am getting sufficient amounts of this important vitamin.

Many Americans are deficient in Vitamin D and only recently are studies showing how important Vitamin D truly is. Vitamin D can help prevent osteoporosis, depression, diabetes, obesity and even cancer.

How to get it: Food sources of this particular vitamin are limited, the best source of this vitamin is from the sun. However, during the cold winter months, it is more difficult to get your daily dose when you are trying to stay warm inside. Therefore, you may want to take a vitamin D supplement during the winter.



How to find out if you are deficient: Have your doctor check your 25 OH vitamin D levels. This is done through a simple blood test and will give you a better idea of how vitamin D much you need to supplement with. According to the Vitamin D Council, blood levels should be between 50–80 ng/mL (or 125–200 nM/L) year-round.



How to supplement: Vitamin D3 is said to be the best form because it is the form that is most easily absorbed by your body. Since vitamin D is fat soluble, taking it with food that contains some fat will may also help the body absorb it better.

Follow up: Have your levels rechecked every few months so make sure your levels are sufficient.


Do you supplement with Vitamin D?

When was the last time you had your blood work checked?



xoxo Tina


Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor. This information is based on research, my education, and my personal experience only. You should always consult your before making any changes to your diet or lifestyle.

7 comments:

  1. I take Vitamin D but didnt know there was a better kind to take! I will have to buy this next time!

    I had my bloodwork checked last month, Im all good they say ; ) lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post I need to see if my vitamin has D-3 thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last winter, we had SUCH a LONG, dark, dreary, snowy winter. By March I was feeling run down more than usual so I went to the doc for extensive blood work. I was suspicious that my Vit D was low. Guess what, it was!Not terribly, but wnough to explain how I felt. I took supplements for it until it got nice and sunny. i remember the first really nice sunny day I went out and sat in the sun and did my workout outside. I never felt better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take 5,000 IU every other day! It does wonders for immunity!
    LC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take it in my multi and since I'm preggo I get my blood work checked ALL the time!! :) Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm, I'm definitely considering taking a vitamin D supplement! I definitely don't get enough sun during the winter--so better to be safe, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Living in an area where there is no sun I supplement and I suggest others in the area to too!

    ReplyDelete