Monday, February 21, 2011

Recent Whole Foods Buys

Happy President's Day! I hope everyone has the day off today! Does any one else get the feeling that Mother Nature lost her mind? I cannot believe there is snow on the ground right now! Hopefully we get back to that beautiful spring weather soon!

Yesterday I made the trek (about a 30 minute drive) to Whole Foods and bought some goodies! Typically I buy about 80-90% of my food from Trader Joe's or the regular local supermarket and the rest of my food from one of the two health food stores that are close-by. One is a small health store/vegan deli and the other is a all-natural supermarket called Wild by Nature. It's very similar to Whole Foods, expect it is a little smaller and doesn't have quite the selection as Whole Foods does. When I do make the drive out to Whole Foods I only buy items that I can't find at any of the stores close to me, since Whole Foods can be a tad expensive.


Here is what I left with:


-Nature's Path Love Crunch Granola [I've been dying to try it after seeing it on several blogs!]
-Living Harvest Brand Unsweetened Vanilla Hemp Milk
-Pacific Foods brand Carrot Cashew Ginger Soup [I've had this soup before and it is amazing.]
-Wildwood Brand Organic Sprouted Baked Tofu [Teriyaki flavor, Trader Joe's makes their own version of this which I buy as well.]
-Bulk bin Rolled Oats
-Theo Organic Dark Chocolate [which someone already tasted ;)]

I had a square of the Theo dark chocolate last night after dinner, and while I like the fact that it is organic and has a high cocoa content, I still prefer the taste of my Green & Black's! I love their 70% dark chocolate because it isn't as bitter as most other dark chocolates.

I buy the original unsweetened Hemp Milk at either of the health food stores by my house, but they don't carry the vanilla unsweetened, so I get a few cartons whenever I go to whole foods.

Here are a few of the frozen items I purchase for my lazy, 'I don't feel like cooking' days:


-365 Vegan, Gluten free Roasted Vegetable Pizza
-Soy-free & Gluten-free Vegan burgers
[a new-to-me item!]
-Frozen Kale


When I don't have the time to make home-made ones, my go-to veggie burgers are Amy's California burgers, Sunshine burgers or Wildwood/Trader Joe's Tofu burgers. However, I am always up to try a new one! These new Vegan burgers I picked up have great ingredients:


I love the fact that these are all ingredients I recognize and have in my pantry/fridge. No additives! When buying packaged goods, I go through a mini checklist to determine how healthy or processed it is.

The vegan roasted vegetable pizza seems very similar to Amy's veggie pizza which I love, except the 365 brand has less calories, so I decided to buy it and give it a shot!




This morning for breakfast I knew exactly what I wanted:



I love granola that is filled with clusters, so when I opened the box you can imagine what a happy girl I was to see this:



Literally, a bag of the world's largest clusters. Now I know why they call it love crunch! Although I barely saw any dark chocolate chunks or raspberries (unless they are all hiding at the bottom), this granola was still really good! When I checked out the nutrition label before purchasing it I was surprised to see that it was lower in calories than most other granolas. A serving = 3/4 cup which is 260 calories. I've seen other granolas with the same calories for only 1/4 cup. However, once I measured out 3/4 cup it turned out to be several huge clusters, so it actually is around the same calories as regular granola if you break the granola boulders apart.

What is your favorite Cereal or Granola? Although I like them, I typically don't buy cereal or granola simply because they don't fill me up the same way that oats do. When I do buy them, I look for cereals with low-sugar, high-fiber and all-natural ingredients. Ezekiel sprouted cereals are one of my favorites.


Have you purchased any new health food items lately?


Where do you buy your hard-to-find health food goodies? Do you have a local health store or a Whole Foods close by?


xoxo Tina

4 comments:

  1. Those vegan burgers look delicious! Never sen those before!

    The love crunch Im dying to try too ; ) those are huge clusters! Yum!

    Happy Monday love!!!

    Katie xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Maine at Whole foods, the unsweetened vanilla hemp milk is on sale -- I totally stocked up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum--isn't the Love Crunch so good?! It's my fave Nature's Path granola yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to try those veggie burgers! Was just thinking today that I never buy them because it's tough to find a brand that has a satisfying ingredient list!I may go over to Whole Foods today and get those and that love crunch cereal! I never saw it before though? Looks amazing.

    Oh, and I love that cashew carrot ginger soup!

    ReplyDelete