Thursday, February 10, 2011

Supplement Reviews

Happy Thursday! The weekend is almost here!

Swanson Health Products was nice enough to send me some supplements to review. Upon telling them that I was a vegetarian, they were very understanding and made sure that the products they sent me were all vegetarian friendly! I was so impressed by how nice they were to cater to my dietary needs!

These are the goodies I received from them:


Here are my opinions and reviews of these products. I want to premise by saying, I am 100% honest in my opinions and I am EXTREMELY picky when it comes to supplements and brands. I find that many brands put health claims as marketing tactics and once I read the label, I find that their products are of very low quality. I am a stickler for products that contain zero fillers and GMO's.


Stress Shield by Country Life: This product contains Vitamin C, which is known to help control Cortisol levels (cortisol is the stress hormone), B vitamins and Folic acid. In addition, this product contains:

Ashwagandha: for stress, insomnia and fatigue

L-tyrosine: an amino acid which is needed for the production of dopamine and epinephrine, and thyroid hormones

Ginseng: for energy, vitality and stamina

5-HTP: for mood elevation, depression and panic attacks

This product is very well-rounded. I actually think that it would be great to take before a workout as well. It has been said that Vitamin C is said to help you burn more calories during your workout and the B vitamins and herbs help boost your energy. This isn't a product I would take daily, but I would definitely take it when I need an energy boost or a mood lifter!


Barlean's Greens Powder: Despite the fact that I eat plenty of vegetables, I still like using greens powders for the same reason I take a multi-vitamin, to cover all my bases. This greens powder contains Organic Barley, Wheat and Oat leaves/juice, Spirulina, Flaxmeal, Chlorella, Sea Vegetables, Spinach, Parsley, Astragalus, Schizandra, Acerola Cherry, Green Tea extract, Curcumin extract as well as digestive enzymes. While greens powders are definitely an acquired taste, Barlean's is one of the better tasting greens powders I have tried. I have been using Pro-Greens for the past several months and it is the kind of powder you NEED to mix with juice or a smoothie to drink. Barlean's on the other hand has a somewhat fruity flavor and they added stevia so it is pretty bearable on its own mixed with water. For those who want to ease into green drinks, I would definitely start with Amazing Grass or Emerald Greens chocolate greens powders. They are tasty!



Greens Foods brand Organic Chlorella Powder: Chorella is a single-cell algae that many consider to be a "super food." It is said to aid the body in the detoxification of heavy metals. In addition, it is very high in nutrients like Chlorophyll, B vitamins, Protein, Vitamin C, Iron and Beta Carotene. One serving (one teaspoon) has 62% of your daily requirement of vitamin A (beta carotene) and 130% of vitamin C! I love adding it to my shakes or smoothies because I can't taste any difference in flavor. For the past 2-3 years I have included "super foods" like Chlorella and Spirulina in my daily routine and will continue to do so.

The last two products are digestive enzymes. Digestive enzymes aid your body in the digestion process. I cannot begin to tell you how many of my clients would complain of digestion issues, in fact, I use to be one of them! More and more people are getting diagnosed with IBS and other digestive disorders. In my opinion there are many changes that can be made to really help clear up a lot of tummy troubles. Taking digestive enzymes is like giving your body back up. I intend dedicating an entire post on digestion so look out for it!


Digest Basic by Enzymedica: I have purchased Enzymedica products before and have some to really trust this brand. They guarantee that their products have "absolutely no fillers." In addition this product was marked "Vegan & Kosher," which some brands do not clearly label and then I have to do research and play guessing games to figure it out. This products contains all the essential enzymes needed to break down plant-based foods, which is great for vegetarians and vegans. They recommend taking 1 capsule with every meal to help digest.

Garden of Life Ultimate Digestive Enzymes: This is the mother of all digestive enzymes! Like I said before, I do my research when it comes to supplements, and I haven't seen such a complete product before! This particular product contains a broader spectrum of enzymes and in higher amounts than the Enzymedica product. I also like that they added Ginger root and Turmeric root extracts, which are known to aid in digestion as well. Prior to receiving this supplement I had been using Doctor's Best brand vegetarian enzymes, which were the best, most complete enzyme product I could find, but this Garden of Life product definitely gives my old enzymes a run for their money! I think I have a new go-to product.


Most of my supplement purchases have been from iHerb.com due to reasonable prices and free shipping on orders over $40, but I may start getting some of my supplements from Swanson because their prices are also very reasonable and they have good deals and promotions. Thanks Swanson for sending me these awesome products! Also, if anyone is interested in reviewing Swanson's products, contact Ben (blogs@swansonvitamins.com)

Have you tried any of these products before?

Are you picky when it comes to supplements?

Which of these products do you think you could benefit most from?

xoxo Tina

3 comments:

  1. I have never tried any of these but that garden of life I have heard great things about!! I might have to get that, I use a jarrow probiotic right now but the garden of life digestive looks like it could be better!

    Thanks for the review!
    Hope you are great beautiful! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an informative post thanks so much for letting me know about this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this review! They contacted me not long ago and I am in the midst of trying to see what products I would like to try! Thanks so much! I too like green powders, even though I try to eat my veggies, it's not always happening!

    ReplyDelete