Friday, February 4, 2011

Vegan Cowboy Cookies + Healifying recipes

Happy Friday! I am glad the weekend is finally here!

I have a delicious recipe to share with you all. These are without a doubt my FAVORITE cookies, ever. Quite a bold statement, I know. Oatmeal, walnut, coconut, chocolate chip cookies are better than plain chocolate chip. There, I said it.

Vegan Cowboy Cookies:
Adapted from the recipe in this book.

Makes 11-12 larger cookies (you can easily double this recipe, but prepare to have your will power tested.)

-1c. Quick cook Oats
-1c. Flour (I used gluten free oat flour)
-1/2 tsp Baking soda
-1/4 tsp Baking powder
-1/4 tsp Salt
-1/4c. non-dairy Milk (I used hemp milk, but you could use any milk of your choice)
-1/2T ground Flax seeds
-1/3c. melted Coconut Oil (I used 5T coconut oil + 2T applesauce to cut some of the fat)
-1/3c. Sugar (I used organic evaporated cane sugar)
-6T firmly packed Brown Sugar
-1/2 tsp pure Vanilla extract
-1/2c. shredded unsweetened Coconut
-1/2c. semi-sweet vegan Chocolate Chips
-1/2c. chopped and toasted Pecans or Walnuts (I had pecans, so that is what I used)

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a medium-size bowl, stir together oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl, beat together melted oil, sugar, brown sugar, nondairy milk, flax seeds, and vanilla. Fold in half of the flour mixture to moisten, then fold in the remaining half. Just before the mixture is completely combined, fold in the coconut, chocolate chips, and toated nuts.

4. For each cookie, drop about a 1/4 cup of dough (about the size of a golf ball) onto cookie sheets. The dough will be sticky and thick. Leave about 2 inches of space between each cookie. Flatten slightly with moistened fingers or the moistened back of a measuring cup.

5. Bake for 14-16 minutes until edges start to brown. Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to complete cooling.

*Tip: When using coconut oil, you have to melt it first and be careful when mixing it with cold ingredients, like the non-dairy milk, because it will start to solidify again and you will have tiny coconut oil pieces. To avoid this I mix my ingredients on the stove of my pre-heating oven because it is warm and keep the oil melted.




These are seriously heaven. They are much healthier than your average cookies, but without sacrificing the taste.

How I "healthify" recipes:
~I never use white flour. For all of my baking, I use gluten free oat flour. It works perfectly.
~I never use white sugar. My natural sweeteners of choice are pure maple syrup, agave, raw sugar or sucanat.
~I choose healthier oils and cut some of the fat. Coconut oil works great and replacing some of the oil with applesauce helps reduced the fat and calories in recipes. However, if you substitute too much, the cookies will become too cake-like, so only replace some of the oil like I did in this recipe. When baking brownies I replace some of the oil with canned pumpkin.
~I used dark chocolate chips (60-70% cacao) when I can find them.

If you try this recipe, let me know how much you love them! ;)

What is your favorite cookie?

What are your favorite ways to "healthify recipes?"

xoxo Tina

5 comments:

  1. My favorite cookie recipe has to be this one:
    http://thefitnessapple.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/peanut-butter-crazies/
    Probably because they ARE SO MOIST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I pretty much love all cookies, haha...and if they say Vegan-i'll talk myself into the fact that it will be delish and I have to try it-a good vegan cookie is hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that these are "extra" healthy! Gluten free, yes!
    LC

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies look so so good!!! I love a "healthier" cookie!

    ReplyDelete