Friday, February 18, 2011

Weekend Eating Habits

Happy Friday!!

I am loving the beautiful weather we are having! The sounds of birds chirping when I wake up is a sound I really missed! I love that spring is approaching!

For many people weekends result in eating "naughtier foods" (as I like to call them) and eating more in general. Going out to restaurants can result in higher calorie meals or foods you wouldn't normally have if you had cooked at home (bread with butter, wine, desserts, etc). Also, you may be less motivated to get some exercise in over the weekend. I know the weekend is a time to relax after a hard week, but that doesn't mean we should let all our hard work at the gym or healthy eating all week go to waste!


If you know you are going out to dinner, plan ahead by make smart choices throughout the day. Load up on veggies, fruits, high-fiber and lower calorie meals so you have some calories to spare at dinner. I talked about how making healthy choices when eating out in this post.

If going to the gym over the weekend, really doesn't appeal to you, find an activity you enjoy. Working out shouldn't be torture; try yoga, going for a walk, hiking, biking, etc, anything to get your body moving and your heart rate up!

If you are going to drink alcohol, try not do it on an empty stomach, and make sure to drink PLENTY of water before, during and after. Alcohol leads to dehydration and hangovers (bleh!). I rarely drink and when I do, I am a two-sip sally. I usually can't handle more than 2 strong drinks. When choosing an alcoholic beverage I try and avoid all the fruity drinks because they are filled with sugar and calories!

My go-to alcoholic beverage of choice:
1 shot vodka, or more if you can handle it ;)
club soda (If making the drink at home I use the all-natural flavored club sodas)
splash of fruit juice (cranberry, pomegranate, orange juice-etc)
squeeze of lemon or lime

By using club soda as the filler instead of the fruit juice you dramatically cut the carbs and sugars. If you happen to wake up with a hangover and start craving heavy, greasy diner food, try my hangover cure smoothie recipe instead to rebalance and rehydrate your body.


Practice moderation. Try and eat the same amount (volume) of food as you normally food, but if those foods happen to be richer. Your body doesn't know the difference between a Saturday or a Wednesday, so just because it's a weekend, this doesn't mean your appetite suddenly increases.

Do you feel like your eating and exercise habits change over the weekend? Sunday is usually my day off from the gym anyway, but if my body is well-rested and I am up to it, I will still try and get a workout in. My eating habits are consistent all week long, but some weekends I will be in the mood for some sweets, which I satisfy by baking some healthier desserts at home.

What are some of the ways you keep yourself motivated to stay on track over the weekend?

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
xoxo Tina

5 comments:

  1. My eating habits stay the same all week pretty much! I do sometimes enjoy a bowl of cereal on the weekend nights ; )

    I love club soda with riesling for a healthier drink! I like your drink combo too!

    Happy Weekend love! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eating and exercise habits don't change too much over the weekend--I usually get a good work out in on Saturday and then rest on Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eating habits only change when my man comes over haha I try and keep up with him which isn't smart LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wknds are def WAY more flexible...i'm pretty strict throughout the wk and then wknds its no holds bar-i'm working on that though!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My weekends are a struggle for me!! I'm working on it though :)

    ReplyDelete